Power Supply Design Engineer
Salary: Competitive remuneration linked to candidate experience.
Location: Flexible with frequent travel required between sites in Diss, Eastleigh and Hartlepool (UK).
- Design and develop Switch Mode Power Supplies from 10Watts to 2KWatts.
- Design PCB layout, Prototype and carryout testing to the specification provided.
- Plan and carry out verification testing, issue reports and perform approbations and debugging for design release.
- Support and evaluate components for product development.
- Complete documentation and maintain accurate records according to ISO9002.
- Work with minimum supervision, self-motivated with a high level of commitment.
- Provide technical support to production and test on both new and existing product.
- Provide technical support to customers as required.
- Provide information to enable quotations to be prepared by the sales department.
- Communicate effectively throughout course of design and development process.
- Fully understand and operate to the required safety regulations, whilst maintaining and upholding good housekeeping practices.
- Create and maintain engineering documentation (BOM, drawings, WI, ECN etc.)
- Managing cost and program manage projects.
- Occasional travel may be necessary.
Qualifications – Minimum Requirements
- BSc in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent).
- Thorough knowledge of latest power supply circuits, topologies and components.
- 5 year experience of designing switch-mode power supplies, magnetic components, and associated analogue technologies, from 10 to 500Watts.
- In-depth knowledge of the safety requirements of EN60950, and ideally EN60601, EN61010 and/or international equivalents.
- Familiarity with engineering document control and production processes.
- Proficient with using CAD packages such as Easy PC or similar software.
- Proficient with using software such as, Word, Excel, Project, Power point etc.
- Proficient with manual lab test equipment: Oscilloscopes & spectrum analysers etc.
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Strong problem solving skills & Strong team player
- The applicant must be fluent in both written and spoken English
- Good experience of EMC requirements and how to design for optimum results.
- Experience of designing for Industrial, Medical, Automotive, Instrumentation, Lighting, Vendor and Broadcast industries would be an advantage.
- Ability to recognize problems or barriers and recommend solutions.
- Individual should be a self-starter, organized and punctual Individual who is motivated to drive improvements in a challenging environment
- Knowledge in digital circuits, controls and communications would be an advantage.
- Solid troubleshooting skills.
- Awareness of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques.